We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ready for a Green Winter?

(At my in-laws in Michigan-BURR!)


I have found that I was not ready to be green in the winter months. Robin mentioned that she is having a hard time with being green in the winter and I agree. But I am still trying. Things you can still do:

  • Turn down the thermostat- wear a sweater and slippers in the house and drink hot tea
  • Turn on lights a little later
  • Combine trips for errands
  • Take short showers and turn down the hot water (hot water dries your skin anyway)
  • Find drafts and cover them, even with a towel
  • Cook double and freeze leftovers-this saves in energy on your stove and time for you later
  • Use all your leftovers for soup, wraps or burritos
  • Close vents in rooms you don't use
  • Put an extra blanket on your bed at night
  • Use your oven's heat after it is off by opening it to share it with rest of house
  • Use clothes dryer (if you need to) at night (if in house) to share the heat (mine is next to kitchen so I get heat)
I can't remember anything else right now. And I live where it does not snow so feel free to add to my list in regards to freezing weather and being green.

Stay green and warm.

No comments: