We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Monday, September 22, 2008

I Wish Football was Green


Yesterday we went to a 49er's game. Talk about non-green! Sometimes I like the green bubble I live in. I get to control how much trash I throw away, when lights get turned off and ride my bike if possible. But when you get out into the "real" world you realize how being green is a true challenge!

Just getting to the game is so ungreen with traffic jams galore. Once parked and walking to the stadium the trash (mostly alcohol bottles and cans) is everywhere. I can just image all that garbage ending up in the SF Bay. The stadium is full of things to buy-t-shirts, foam fingers, hats, crappy stadium food, trinkets, whatever. Many of these items will end up at the bottom of your kid's toy box or thrown out. What a waste. But the true kicker for me was seeing the huge lights on during the day! The game started at 1:00 PM and the stadium lights were on during the whole game. Even the slightest of green person would see this as a waste. And at the end of the game it took us a couple of hours in traffic just to get away from the city of San Francisco and on our way home. Barely any public transit to be found. Wow! All this from a city that boasts being a green city.

I'm not saying I hated going to the game, I had a fun time. But why does so much waste have to be generated just in the name of fun from the fans perspective and money from the NFL's perspective? Can anything be done? This is truly a challenge. I will continue to do my part and hope that others learn and try also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to pop over and say that you could substitute half of the flour with wheat if you like for the crackers! Sounds so good I might try it myself! :)