We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Funny Farmer


I have quite a few farmers in the area but most have their stands closed until May, maybe late April. But one farmer sells starwberries early in the season and he also sells late in the season. Well, I heard he was open! The pleasure of buying local strawberries, and good ones at that, elated me. I was off to Chan's.
I arrive and the lady behind the counter has strawberries and to my surprise asparagus! I said one bunch of asparagus and one basket of strawberries. She proceeds to get the plastic bag. I said no to it that I live close so the produce will make it home. She grunts and knodds. I ask her if she grew the asparagus because I don't see it on the farm. She says, "no, but local". She knows the routine. And then she adds, "strawberry local". I soon figure out that she doesn't not speak english, just some broken farm lingo that gets the strawberries sold. I am laughing to myself now because I so badly wanted to ask if they are organic but figure I will save that for the next time.
Moral of the story: buy local, it's more fun.

No comments: