We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Green Lately?


(Our local pumkins carved into Jack O Lanterns.)

I haven't been writing much lately, I guess I go through spurts. And I definitely haven't been writing about my green adventures. Well, that could be because there isn't much to report on that subject. I still try to buy local but the farms have closed for the season. I try to buy organic when it doesn't damage my checkbook too much. I still recycle and print on both sides of the paper. I turn off lights. I wash with vinegar and baking soda. I even got really angry when all the junk mail from the "green" politicians came in the mail. I do all my usual green works.

I can step it up a notch and ban more plastics but my family is already rebelling and wants me to buy plastic water bottles. I have not given in. If they want plastic water bottles they will have to buy them. I still need to switch to cast iron pans and stainless steel but maybe Santa can bring those.

I did buy local pumkins. It was nice to have a local farm open for fall. And I was able to buy some butternut squash there also. So yummy roasted!! But I have to tell ya. Those local pumkins molded and fell apart within one day of carving! I couldn't believe it. We were lucky to have carved them on October 30th, we usually carve the weekend before Halloween. Unfortunately, I will not be buying pumpkins from that farm again. But then again carving pumpins is not green.

So when I do something green or find out something great about the environment I will post about it. But for now I may just write about my crochet, my kids or just life.

No comments: