We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Granola Bar Follow-Up

There's my first attempt at homemade granola bars. They were pretty yummy. I topped them with a little milk chocolate so the kids would want to eat them. And we ate all of them within 3 days. We did share them with my daughter's Brownie troop and I am proud to say they liked them too! They didn't even know they were getting wheat germ, almonds, oatmeal and sesame seeds. They just saw the chocolate and ate them up.
So now that I know the basic recipe I will attempt to add some peanut butter next time. Or maybe dried fruit.
Anyone that knows me knows I don't like to cook. I will try to get out of it anytime I can. For instance, last night I had a bowling alley hamburger because I was just lazy. With my new found knowledge (from books, websites and bloggers) I have been eating so much less processed, fried, genetically-inhanced, and toxic food that for one, the hamburger had almost no taste. Two, it had no nutritional value (well some). Three, I knew better. And, four, I am suffering for it today. So for me to be cooking my own food this often and putting this much effort into planning and making it, you can say this is a HUGE step for me. I am excited to say tonight's dinner is free range chicken kabobs with roasted organic potatoes and zuchini.
Thank you Robin for suggesting to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. My eyes are opening to the beautiful bounty the seasons have to offer. (I know potatoes and zuchini are not in season but I bought them before I started the book so I have to eat them.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made homemade granola bars once that were really good! Isn't it fun to try to make things you can usually buy?

Allison said...

Beth-I am starting to love making things I can buy. My hardest challenge will be to make my own bread for sandwiches. I have been thinking about for 3 weeks now and have not taking the plunge.

Allison said...

Beth-I checked out your blog and it is wonderful. I wanted to leave a comment on your blog not mine but I couldn't figure out how. I know, I am a complete boob! Help me. You can email me if you need to show me or just leave another comment here.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...really? Let me check and see what is the issue. Thanks for coming by tho! I have made bread off and on for many years and just found another recipe to try courtesy of my son's school. They made bread with the wheat they grew in the school garden and it was YUMMY! Pop over again sometime! My email is also bethm1994@hotmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Ok, figured it out. The link to click on for comments is really light beneath the post. I'm gonna try to change that today.