We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

My Newest Purchases

Well, on my quest to be greener I not only purchase things I believe will help but I also try to consume less. I was walking through Target yesterday and the store has a $1 section. Well, I usually buy some little trinket from this section for my kids and surprise them when I pick them uo from school. BUT there goes my eco-conscience kicking in and said no because that plastic toy is not recyclable and it will just end up in a trash heap somewhere and poisen the ground. WOW! All those thoughts over a $1 toy! So my logic at that point was that the kids not only don't need the toy but I can save money this way! Cool! And turning off lights, unplugging electronics, taking shorter showers, planting drought resistant plants, no more zip locs, using the back of paper to write notes, take myself off bulk mailing lists and I have more to learn. Well, actually I am spending more on organic so hopefully this will all even out.

I am having fun doing this. Most people don't care, but I can tell you even over the last 4-5 days I have had more energy and I feel happier. When ever I feel like throwing in the towel I just picture Yosemite with plastic bags everywhere and I get steamed! So I go back to my eco-conscience.

No comments: