We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Walkability


I have a bad habit of surfing the net. I have been doing it for over 10 years now. If I didn't surf the net I would be at a bookstore or library reading backs of books. So needless to say I have a plethora of sites and blogs I am bursting to share.

I found One Green Generation a while back. I scan her blog for goodies that I like, just like I normally do. On July 10th she posted a great resource called a "walkabilty score". You visit the site, Walkscore.com, type in your address, the map pops up and you get a score between 0 and 100, 0 bad & 100 great. The score translates into how walkable your area is. Meaning, how many resources you have within walking distance. To me that is relative because some people walk further than others, I take my bike. My area scored a 46 because a grocery store, Starbucks (of course) and a park are within walking distance. That score is higher than I thought it would be but low for walkability. There a many factors taken into place and you can view them here. This is a great resource for greenies looking for a place to live. Check it out.
What is your score?

No comments: