When I made a search for "Green Father's Day" I found the results a little disturbing. Even the greenest sites were getting you to buy something for dad. Though be it an eco-kayak or solar powered charger for his cell phone, it is still a purchase of something that might have taken non-renewable materials and energy to make. And may not be recyclable or reusable. I am not saying don't buy anything for dad, if he needs it, get it. What I am saying is do your homework before you buy. Be sure the product is earth friendly. Renewable, Reusable, Recyclable. Remember: being green is about being frugal too. The less you buy, the less ends up in the garbage heaps.
Here are some alternatives:
- Donate to his favorite non-profit
- Plant a tree in his name
- Name a star after him
- Check his tire pressure, oil and fluids for him
- Give him a neck massage
- Send him to cooking or bar-b-q classes
- Make him a locally grown meal
- Go on a bike ride with him
- Do what he says-from turning off the lights to emptying the dishwasher
- If you must buy, buy vintage. Golfer? Find some old wooden golf clubs. Sports fan? Find old memorabilia.
- LOVE him. Show him you love him, that is the best gift.
Happy Green Father's Day!