We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Frugality Keeps Me From Going Green


My green quest is in full swing now and I still have non-green STUFF IN MY HOUSE! Why? I can't waste it! Things like canned chili, Tide, paper towels, Teflon pans, my scrubby gloves for the shower, nail polish, Pantene, regular sugar, my carpet (which I want to change for other than green reasons), and so much more, you get the picture. Someone told me to freecycle or just give away the toxic cleaners but I can't because I know I will use them and dispose of them in a more earth friendly way. Some things are still good like my scrubby gloves. Oh, how I want to buy a natural loofah. I know I can give away the canned goods to a food bank but then what if there is an earthquake and I need food, I do live in the Bay Area and earthquakes happen here. The Tide is easy, I'll just replace that out whe it is gone. But I bought it at Costco so it takes literally 6 months to get through the huge amount.

This has become frustrating to me. I have made huge strides by buying used books, taking my own shopping bags, buying Sigg bottles, no phosphate dish soap in a recyclable container, buying local and organic foods, riding my bike more. I read other blogs and get jealous that they get to make their own shampoo, I am still waiting to use the rest of mine because somewhere in the green blogosphere someone said it is greener to wash your hair less often, so I do! Now I have this shampoo I don't want to use!

I can still do more. I will make my own bread. Yes, bread. That has been my goal for a while but I have been lazy, busy and a little scared. But I will go for it. Then I know I can get rid of more plastic from my life.

2 comments:

Robin Shreeves said...

Allison - I'm at a point where I think I need to be taking further steps, too, but life gets in the way.

One of the areas I know I will have trouble with is personal care products. I had no problem switching my kids to an organic shampoo, but it took me so long to find the right combination of shampoo/conditioner/mousse/frizz tamer for my hair that I am unwilling to try something different.

I know my picture shows smooth, straight hair, but that's salon magic. In actuality I have very curly hair and without the right combo of products I look like Roseanne Roseanne Dana most days.

Vanity just may be my downfall when it comes to going completely green.

OOh, I sense a post on my own blog about this in the near future.

Allison said...

Robin-You need to stop showing your age. First the Rick Springfield comment, now SNL??? Just Kidding, I'm with ya.

It is true about our personal products, they are personal, and we don't want to give them up. I can possibly change shampoo and conditioner but what about gels, mousses and hairspray?? I would love to see what you come up with.