We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

One Green Person


Yesterday my girl scouts and I planted terrarium gardens. I had the girls bring in clean jars and I supplied the rest. I wanted them to grow herbs and then after the summer break hopefully use the herbs to make a meal, maybe using veggies from local farmers will be used. I'll try. Here is my daughter's terrarium of chives. We planted the simpliest herbs-chives, basil, parsley and oregano. Now the girls are only in 2nd grade so I hope they remember to water their mini gardens. I am hopeful.
At the same meeting we finished using our cookie money. This last Sunday we celebrated our earnings at a place called Libby Lu's where the girls get all dressed up and have a fashion show, it was quite cute. Well, we still had some left over money so I suggested we adopt an animal from the Lindsey Wildlife Museum. They were very excited about it. We voted on the Great Horned Owl. We will have to visit our buddy next year.
I am not telling my Girl Scout story to pat myself on the back. I am telling my story because I want people to know that one person can make a difference. I hear a lot of people say that what could one person going green possibly help? Well, you can be an example, especially to the next generation. I don't force my green ways onto the girls or their parents. I teach a little about respect and conservation of nature and hopefully they can take this knowledge with them in life.
Hopefully growing basil from seed will want her to grow a garden. Or adopting and visiting an owl will make her think twice about littering where that animal lives.

No comments: