We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow the earth from our
children.
-Native American Proverb
We have been treating the Earth like we don't live on it.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Zucchini....Again



I have a feeling I will be writing about zucchini a lot this summer. Growing it, eating it, cooking it, baking it, grilling it, freezing it, daydreaming about it. But today I will talk about baking it.

Last night I baked Zucchini Bread and it was good. The recipe made 2 loafs but as you can see from this mornings photo 75% is gone. I used my mother-in-law's recipe. It was funny when my husband asked if she ever gave it to me (she passed a few years ago) and I told him I don't know but if she didn't I could just use the one from Betty Crocker and triple the cinnamon. (The joke here is that her "swedish family recipes" were really Betty Crocker's recipes. She would just add A LOT more cinnamon.) But this time she fooled me and had her own recipe.

3 eggs beaten until fluffy
2 cups of sugar
1 cup veggie oil
2 cups shredded zucchini
3 teaspoons vanilla

Those go in a large bowl and combined.
In a seperate bowl combine:

3 cups flour
3 tablespoons cinnamon (yes tablespoons, trust me it's good)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Add to egg mixture. Pour into loaf pans. Bake in greased loaf pans for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Makes 2 loaves.

No comments: